1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, D.C.
$ Click for current price
11 BEDROOMS | 35 (35 full ) BATHROOMS | 55,000 SQUARE FEET
The first president of the United States, George Washington, selected the site for the White House in 1791.
The cornerstone was laid in 1792 and a competition design submitted by Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen. After eight years of construction, President John Adams and his wife, Abigail, moved into the unfinished house in 1800. During the War of 1812, the British set fire to the President’s House in 1814.
James Hoban was appointed to rebuild the house, and President James Monroe moved into the building in 1817. During Monroe’s administration, the South Portico was constructed in 1824, and Andrew Jackson oversaw the addition of the North Portico in 1829.
During the late 19th century, various proposals were made to significantly expand the President’s House or to build an entirely new house for the president, but these plans were never realized.
This is the legal description. Each office independently owned.